D800 Autofocus Repair Testing
I made a previous post about the issues my Nikon D800 had with phase detect autofocus, my test charts clearly showed a problem with the left side AF sensors. I dropped off my camera at Nikon and it came back with the following info.
Service Repair Rank B2
ADJ FOCUS SYSTEM
ADJ AUTO FOCUS OPERATION
GENERAL CHECK & CLEAN
So it looks like Nikon actually did make a fix, though I have heard some people had cameras returned with B1 service repair but I’m not sure how they differ. Today I decided to do some testing on the ‘fixed’ camera to see if it was any better. Same test procedure as before, same Siemens Star test chart. I only tested the 24-70mm f/2.8 lens as that more obviously showed the problems before. Below you can see the results for the lens at 24mm, ISO 100. Top row is Live View manual focus (reference), next is Live View autofocus (to test contrast detect AF), then two rows viewfinder (phase detect) autofocus tests. The VF AF 1 is racking focus to the closest setting before letting autofocus take over, VF AF 2 was a rack to infinity.
Disregard the differences in white balance, the right test chart was closer to a different set of lights. Focus should not be affected overall, and shows relatively consistent operation left, center, and right.
As before focus looks to be consistent, if not perfect, between the three tested points.
Finally, putting together my previous test charts with the updated tests shot today. Top row is Live View manual for reference, next row is the viewfinder autofocus tests before the fix and third row are the tests after the fix. This should clearly show that the fix worked. One thing to note is that the autofocus, even after the fix, is not in perfect focus however I hope that autofocus fine tune can fix that.