MC Hammer launching his own search engine Oct21

MC Hammer launching his own search engine

Apparently, going bankrupt once wasn’t good enough for MC Hammer. He is now launching a search engine called WireDoo which apparently has “deep search” capability.  Call me cynical, but trying to compete with Google in the search space is a recipe for failure. My latest digging shows Google has 65% of the search market, Yahoo 16%, and Bing 14%.  Since Bing powers Yahoo search, I’ll lump them together into a 30% combined share.  That leaves 5% for all of the other search engines combined. Microsoft managed to grab 30% of the search market partly by making Bing the default search in all of their products, including...

Flickr May Soon Be Owned by Microsoft Oct20

Flickr May Soon Be Owned by Microsoft

Microsoft tried to buy Yahoo once before and failed, maybe they will have better luck this time around. If so, that means MS will own Flickr, which is likely a good thing. Flickr May Soon Be Owned by Microsoft

Lytro introduces world’s first light fi...

Interesting technology, remains to be seen how well it works in the hands of consumers. May become the new standard for digital sensors if they can increase the resolution. Lytro introduces world’s first light field camera: f/2 lens, $399, ships early 2012 View sample images at the Lytro image...

A quick review of the iPhone 4S

Hardware Signal strength for cellular and WiFi seems stronger. When choosing from Wifi networks, I get more options than I did with the iPhone 4 in the same locations which suggests it’s picking up things further away. Also, I can pick up my company WiFi signal further away. Well done Apple, this is a change everyone will appreciate. The new dual-core A5 processor (800MHz) is an improvement over the iPhone 4 and this phone feels faster overall, especially when using the photo app. Things render just a bit faster. Screen is the same, but still excellent if not the best on the market. Camera is improved, it’s faster and 8MP. I...

Canon Unveils the 1D X

Wow, Canon just took the wraps off a new DSLR.   It’s a blend of their previous two high end models, mixing high speed and a full frame sensor.  14fps, 18-megapixel full frame shooter, sounds like a winner if you have the cash ($6800 when it ships in March 2012). Canon Unveils the 1D X: One DSLR to Rule Them All If you want to see and hear what 14 frames per second is like, have a look here. DP Review article on the 1D X Excellent summary by Rob...

Adobe Image Deblurring Sneak Peek

Wow, this is some amazing new technology from Adobe.  Can deblur a crappy image so now everyone can be a good photographer.  No word on when it will show up in a product, I’m hoping Photoshop CS6. MAX 2011 Sneak Peeks – MAX 2011 Sneak Peek – Image Deblurring | Adobe TV. Update, October 19, 2011:  More about the software from Adobe:...

Page 4 of 41234